Tuesday, December 9, 2014

What the F***?

Last weekend I was hanging out with my friend from Poland. He has been her a year now and his English has improved greatly. When we were out the other day I never realized how much he swore. It was almost every sentence he dropped an considerably inappropriate word.

Personally, I do think swearing  is a normal relaxed thing to do and is a way of expressing your feelings. But as society has gone on I think it has become more about showing your maturity and feeling grown up. We see constant swearing on TV, in books, and in songs so why shouldn't we do it? It is the cool thing to do.

I asked my friend if he swears just as much when he is speaking polish. He laughed at my curiosity and started to explain to me that teenagers in Poland swear in English because it is the cool thing to do. Parents and older people he said don't realize what the kids are saying because they don't speak English. He told me about how he has this one shirt that has the famous "F" word written across his chest. In Poland everyone had these shirts. When he came here and realized that this was not acceptable he was shocked.

Today it is becoming more and more acceptable for people to carelessly swear and there is a point where those words, won't have such an impact anymore. We all do it, and the power of a word is diminished each time it carelessly floats out of our mouths.

No comments:

Post a Comment