Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Tech-NO!

Like most people in the world, I am a victim of Google, Bing, Yahoo and all of those other brilliant search engines. If I find myself thinking too much about how much I truly depend on these sites I quickly change my thought because honestly it scares me. Titles always seem to jump out to me, and this was no exception. Is Google Making Us Stupid?, is the title of my chosen article for Chapter 70. I saw this title and said oh my gosh heck yes!

As the writer describes that we are completely dependent on the world wide web. All of our desired answers can be found with a few taps of your fingers and a click of a button. Too easy. What ever happened to working for what you want? Books are unnecessary for our everyday lives and the object that was cherish and used until it fell apart is know sitting on a self accumulating layers of dust each day.

You never are left to wonder about something with the internet getting in your way. Your thoughts can never just be yours. I would ask someone a question that I don't necessarily need an answer for, something that I just want my brain to imagine the answer. But immediately someone already has it pulled up on their phone. As much as the instant access of knowing what you need to know whenever you want it is extremely helpful and I rely on it day to day sometimes I wonder what would happen if suddenly this access was gone.

The difficulty my generation and generations younger is we don't know how to find information on our own in books. Its not fast enough for us and we have to work to our answer. You can type anything in the world in to a search engine and it will give you the answer. An example, if your stranded how to make a fire. I could look that up in a second, but if I was really stranded I wouldn't know that basic survival technique because I depend to much on technology. I see good and bad sides the increasing use of technology and how it is evolving more and more. It is helpful and amazing in one way, but scary and devastating in another. I hope enough people realize that we need to take a minute to pause the screen and live in the real world.

Maddie Rzeppa

No comments:

Post a Comment